Working holiday visa in Hong Kong

The visa allows young travelers from the participating countries to work and travel in Hong Kong for up to one year!

Hong Kong


The application fees for this visa would be $25.


The minimum required monthly income for this visa is $0.


This visa allows you to stay in the country for a duration of 12 months.


To read more about and apply for this visa, click the icon above.

Interact with other people planning to move to Hong Kong.

Join our community on Slack and talk to several other members planning their relocation!
Join the community

Additional details

This section will contain all sorts of other information. If you don't see something that you think should be mentioned, please reach out to me and I'll add it.

Participating countries

Hong Kong has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 12 participating countries:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Canada
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Hong Kong for one year
  • Work for one employer for max. three months if you are from; Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland
  • Work for one employer for max. six months if you are from; Sweden, Austria, France, Hungary, South Korea and Japan (If you have a British passport the max. time is 12 months)
  • Study or participate in a course for max. 3 months if you are from; Australia or New Zealand
  • Study or participate in a course for max. 6 months if you are from; Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan and South Korea (If you are British you can study for up to 12 months)


  1. You must hold a valid national passport issued by the participating country and is ordinarily residing in that participating country
  2. You must be aged between 18 and 30
  3. Produce financial proof of having an amount sufficient for your maintenance during his/her proposed stay in the HKSAR, e.g. bank statement, saving accounts passbooks
  4. You must hold a return air ticket or financial proof of having sufficient funds to purchase a return air ticket
  5. You must agree to hold medical, healthcare (including hospitalisation), repatriation and liability insurance to remain in force throughout your stay in the HKSAR

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 2 weeks
  • Visa fee: HK$ 190 (Free of Charge for Japanese, South Koreans and Irish passport holders)
  1. Collect all the required documents. See the checklist here
  2. Fill out the visa application form
  3. Submit the visa application form with the required documents via post to the HKSAR Immigration Department or via your nearest Chinese Embassy. See the list of which Chinese Embassies you can your visa application form to here

The immigration authority in Hong Kong for processing Working Holiday visa's is Immigration Department Hong Kong.

Loading comments...