A small note, the Apply link on this page takes you to the website for the consulate in Las Vegas. You can simply look for a consulate near you and visit the page for that location within the same website.
Also, here is a good read documenting the experience of someone who has applied for this visa in 2019.
Who Can Apply for a Spanish Non-Lucrative Residence Visa?
A Non Lucrative Visa for Spain is available to all persons who have a clear criminal record and the required financial means to support themselves and their dependents, if any, without the need of getting a job in Spain.
Note that if you are a national of one of the countries that do not need a Spain visa for long-term stays, you do not need this visa to move to Spain.
Submit the supporting documents for a Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa
Start collecting the required documents for a Spanish non-lucrative residence visa as soon as you make the appointment. Collect each document as required, in compliance with the criteria set by the Spanish authorities.
Full list of the supporting documents for Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa application:
- Visa application form. Do not confuse the national visa form with the Schengen visa form since they are completely different. Make sure you answer all questions correctly. The information you give in the application form must comply with that in the other documents.
- Valid Passport. It should be no older than 10 years, and valid for another year at least. It should have at least one blank page for the visa sticker.
- Two Identical Photos. The photos must be taken according to the Schengen visa photo specifications
- Medical Certificate. Get this certificate from an authorized doctor in your country of residence. It should indicate that you do not have any disease that poses risks for public health. Remember that on the day you submit this certificate, it must be no older than 90 days.
- Health Insurance. Obtain medical insurance from a private insurer in Spain.
- Original Police Clearance Certificate. A document that confirms you have not committed any illegal activity in the last 5 years. This document should also be no older than three months on the day of submission
- NIE number. This a personal unique number, given to every foreigner who intends to stay in Spain for longer than six months. Apply for this number at the consulate, before you apply for a visa.
- Proof of sufficient income. The most important part of your application! If you fail here, your application will be rejected for sure. You need to prove you have a minimal amount of about 2,150€ per month, and an extra 535€ per month for every dependent you plan to bring with you. The following documents can serve as proof of financial means:
- Bank statements for the last three months.
- Letter of employment stating the salary, if you will be receiving a salary from an employer outside Spain.
- Proof of investments.
- Proof of other types of income, i.e. from rented property.
- Marriage/Birth certificate is required for those applying as a dependent.
Interview for Non-Lucrative Visa
As a part of your application, you will need to attend a visa interview at the responsible visa admission authorities in your country of residence. On the day of the interview, you will:
- Meet with a visa consular for the interview.
- Submit the supporting document to the interview
- Give your biometrics – fingerprints and facial image – if you have not traveled to the Schengen territory in the last five years.
- Pay the visa fee. Check how the Spanish authorities have regulated this issue in your country of residence. You may need to pay in cash, money order or certified check.
Pay the Fee for a Non-Lucrative Visa
The amount that you need to pay for a non-lucrative visa for residency in Spain depends on your nationality. This happens due to reciprocity measures that Spain has undertaken for several countries.
The current visa fees for a non-lucrative residence visa for Spain are as follows:
- Citizens of the United States need to pay a fee of €123.
- Citizens of Canada need to €507 for a Spanish non-lucrative visa.
- An amount of €80 is required from the nationals of other world countries for the processing of this visa.
Please remember that if your application is rejected or you decide to withdraw it while it is being processed, you will not get a refund. The Spanish visa fees are nonrefundable in any case.
Once you are done with these steps, all that is left for you to do is to wait for the processing of your visa.